Autore Topic: [Musica] I Metallica, la compressione e Guitar Hero  (Letto 777 volte)

Offline Huizinga Z

• Navigato
  • Una specie di dirottatore di tapis-roulant
Ho trovato un articolo interessante su Pro Audio Asia. Ve lo riporto qui, dato che ha un insolito risvolto videoludico.

Got loud if you want it

In sintesi: nell'ultimo album dei Metallica, Death Magnetic, la pratica perniciosa di comprimere i suoni in mixaggio e masterizzazione per farlo suonare "più forte" è stata portata a un livello tale che pure gli ascoltatori poco pratici di questi tecnicismi si sono accorti di quanto suona male il risultato.
Il paradosso è che la versione fornita alla Activision per Guitar Hero... suona meglio del CD! Ecco il passaggio dell'articolo.
Citazione
The controversy may never have gone much beyond insular online pro audio forums had the Metallica record not come out on Guitar Hero, too. Since the game allows players to build songs part by part, the music is delivered to the game developer, in this case ActiVision, in stems: all the guitars grouped together, the drums as a single group, vocals, keyboards and so on. But the most important differences are that they have not been mixed together nor have they been subjected to any stereo limiting. And when the same track from the CD and the game are compared side by side, the difference is readily apparent.

‘The Guitar Hero version is several dB lower than the CD and there are visible dynamics in the waveform,’ says Mark Hornsby, a Nashville engineer and one of a relative handful of Pro Tools experts certified by Digidesign. ‘If you agree with Jensen, the brick-wall compression took place at the mix stage and that’s where the clipping happened. ActiVision got stems that had bypassed two layers of extra processing. No wonder they sound better.’

Interessante che il mondo dei videogiochi stia influenzando quello della produzione musicale in modi imprevisti, no?
Canz                     (Caparezza, "Canzone a metà")

Offline Zel

• Reduce
  • Supa Scoopa
    • It's me
Re: [Musica] I Metallica, la compressione e Guitar Hero
« Risposta #1 il: 10 Gen 2009, 11:11 »
se ne e' discusso ampiamente nelle scorse pagine del topic dei Metallica http://www.tfpforum.it/index.php?topic=16874.0
| (• ◡•)|  (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)