Autore Topic: Il CELL e la PS3: un luuuungo articolo in inglese  (Letto 1806 volte)

Offline Obi-Wan

• Assiduo
    • http://www.play2eye.it/index.asp
E' probabile che qualcuno l'abbia già visto dato che l'ho postato anche su un altro forum; però per chi bazzica solo tfp ed è interessato alla materia (es. Adriano) lo propongo anche quì.

Si tratta di un articolo sul Cell e la PS3 scritto da Eddie Edwards ex programmatore Naughty Dog comparso sul suo sito e poi tolto.
Trovato sul forum di Beyond 3D.
Letto un po' quà e là, decisamente interessante.

Citazione
The Technology of PS3
Eddie Edwards, April 2003
Foreword

Recent news articles have explained that the patent application for the technology on which PS3 will assumedly be based is now available online. I've spent some time examining the patent and I have formed some theories and educated guesses as to what it all means in practice. This document describes the patent and outlines my ideas. Some of these guesses are informed by my knowledge of PS2 (I was one of the VU coders on Naughty Dog's Jak & Daxter although I do not work for Sony now). You may wish to refer to Paul Zimmons' PowerPoint presentation which has diagrams that might make some of this stuff clearer. Also, until I get told to take it down, I have made the patent itself available in a more easily downloadable form (a 2MB ZIP containing 61 TIF files).

The technology of PS3 is based on what IBM call the "Cell Architecture". This architecture is being developed by a team of 300 engineers from Sony, IBM and Toshiba. PS2 was developed by Sony and Toshiba. Sony appear to have designed the basic architecture, while Toshiba have figured out how to implement it in silicon. The new consortium includes IBM, who for PS3 will use their advanced fabrication technologies to build the chips faster and smaller than would otherwise have been possible. In addition, the effort is supposedly a holistic approach whereby tools and applications are being developed alongside the hardware. IBM have particular expertise in building applications and operating systems for massively parallel systems - I expect IBM to have significant input into the software for this system.

There is a lot of PS2 in the Cell Architecture. It is the PS2 flavour that is most apparent to me when I read the patent. However, IBM must be bringing a significant amount of stuff to the table too. The patent for instance refers to a VLIW processor with 4 FPUs, rather than a dual-issue processor with a single SIMD vector FPU. Does this imply that the chips are based on an IBM-style VLIW ALU set? Or does it just mean that it's a fast VU with a "very long instruction word" of only 2 instructions? Furthermore, note that IBM have been making and selling massively parallel supercomputers for several decades now. IBM experts' input on the programming paradigms and tool set are going to be invaluable. And the host processor finally drops the MIPS ISA in favour of IBM's own PowerPC instruction set. But we may not get to program the PPCs inside the PS3 anyway.

I have had to make assumptions. Forgive them. If anyone with insight or knowledge wishes to enlighten me, please do.
Contents

* Foreword Cells
* APUs
o Instruction Width
* Winnie the PU
* PEs
* The Broadband Engine
* Visualizers
* Will the Real PS3 Please Stand Up?
* Memory : Sandboxes
* Memory : Producer / Consumer Synchronization
* Memory : Random Access, Caches, etc.
* Forward and Sideways Compatibility
* Graphics
o Modelling
* Programming PS3
* Jazzing with Blue Gene
* Stream Processing
* Readers' Comments
* Links and References

Cells

(There is some confusion as to what a "cell" is in this patent. The media is generally using the term "cell" for what the patent calls a "processing element" or "PE". In the patent, the term "cell" refers to a unit of software and data, while the term "PE" refers to a processing element that contains multiple processing units. I will use that nomenclature here.)

Cells are central to the PS3's network architecture. A cell can contain program code and/or data. Thus, a cell could be a packet in an MPEG data stream (if you were streaming a movie online) or it could be a part of an application (e.g. part of the rendering engine for a PS3 game). The format of a cell is loosely defined in the patent. All software is made up of cells (and here I use software in its most general sense to include programs and data). Furthermore, a cell can run anywhere on the network - on a server, on a client, on a PDA, etc.

Say, for instance, that a website wanted to stream a TV signal to you in their new improved format DivY. They could send you a cell that contained the program instructions for decoding the DivY stream into a regular TV picture. Then they send you the DivY-endoded picture stream. This would work if you had a PS3 or if you had a digital TV, or even if you had a powerful enough PDA - assuming their design followed the new standard.

Depending on how "open" Sony make this it might be easy or impossible to program your own PS3 just by sending it data packets you want it to run. (Note that Sony's history in this respect is interesting - their PSX Yaroze and PS2 Linux projects do show some willingness to open their machines up to hobbyists.)
APUs

Cells run on one or more "attached processing units" or APUs (I pronounce this after the character in the Simpsons!) An APU is architecturally very similar to the vector unit (VU) found in PS2, but bigger and more uniform:

* 128-bit processor
* 1024-bit external bus
* 128K (8192 x 128-bit words) of local RAM
* 128 x 128-bit registers
* 4-way floating point vector unit giving 32GFLOPS
* 4-way integer vector unit giving 32GIOPS

(Compare this to the VU's 128-bit external bus, 16K of code RAM, 16K of data RAM, 32 x 128-bit registers, single way 16-bit integer unit, and only 1.2GFLOPS.)

The APU is a very long instruction word (VLIW) processor. Each cycle it can issue one instruction to the floating point vector unit and one to the integer vector unit simultaneously. It is much more similar to a traditional DSP than to a CPU like the Pentium III - it does no dynamic analysis of the instruction stream, no reordering. The register set is imbued with enough ports that the FPU and the IPU can each read 3 registers and write one register on each cycle. Unlike the VU, the integer unit on the APU is vectorized, each vector element is a 32-bit int (VU was only 16-bit) and the register set is shared with the FPU (in VU there is a smaller dedicated integer register set). APU should therefore be somewhat easier to program and much more general-purpose than the VU.

Unlike the VU, which used a Harvard architecture (seperate program and data memories), the APU seems to use a traditional (von Neumann) architecture where the 128K of local RAM is shared by code and data. The local RAM appears to be triple- ported so that a single load or store can occur in parallel with an instruction fetch, mitigating the von Neumannism (the other port is for DMA). The connection is 256 bits wide (2 x 128 bits), so only one load or store can occur per cycle - it seems reasonable to assume therefore that the load/store instructions only occur on the integer side of the VLIW instruction, as was the case on the VU. Since there is no distinction between integer and floating point registers this works out just fine. The third RAM port attaches the APU to other components in the system and allows data to be DMAed in or out of the chip 1024 bits at a time. These DMAs can be triggered by the APU itself, which differs from the PS2 where only the host processor could trigger a DMA.

Note that the APU is not a coprocessor but a processor in its own right. Once loaded with a program and data it can sit there for years running it independently of the rest of the system. Cells can be written to use one or more APUs, thus multiple APUs can cooperate to perform a single logical task. A telling example given in the patent is where three APUs convert 3D models into 2D representations, and one APU then converts this into pixels. The implication is that PS3 will perform pure software rendering.

The declared speed of these APUs is awesome - 32GFLOPS + 32GIOPS (32 billion floating-point instructions and 32 billion integer instructions per second). I expect Sony consider a 4-way vectorized multiply-accumulate instruction to be 8 FLOPs, so the clock speed of the APU is 4GHz, as has been reported elsewhere in the media. This is very much faster than the PS2's sedate 300MHz clock - by about 13 times. I presume that the FPUs are pipelined (i.e. you can issue one instruction per cycle but it takes, say, four cycles to come up with the answer). But if PS2 had a 4-stage pipeline for the multipliers at 300MHz, what's the pipeline depth going to be at 4GHz? 8 stages? 16 stages? The details of this will depend on the precise design of the APU and this is not covered by the patent, but it is worth noting that naked pipelines are hard to code for at a depth of 4; at a depth of greater than this it may simply be unfeasible to write optimal code for these parts.

Note: the APUs may instead be using an IBM-style VLIW architecture where each ALU (4 floating point and 4 integer) is operable independently from different parts of the instruction word. However, the word size of the registers is 128, so each floating point unit must access part of the same register. This seriously limits the effectiveness of a VLIW architecture and makes it rather difficult to program for. I therefore assume that the ALUs are acting like typical 4-way vector SIMD units.

One interesting departure from PS2 is that all software cells run on APUs. On PS2 there were two VUs but also one general- purpose CPU (a MIPS chip). This chip was the only chip in the system capable of the 128-bit vector integer operations (necessary for fast construction of drawlists), and this functionality is now subsumed into the APU. There is a non-APU processor in the new system but it only runs OS code, not cells, so its precise architecture is irrelevant - it could be anything, and the same software cells would still run on the APUs just fine.
Instruction Width

Given 128 registers, it takes 7 bits to identify a register. Each instruction can have 3 inputs and 1 output which is 28 bits. I am presuming they are keeping the extremely useful vector element masks which would add 4 bits to the FPU side. Only in the case of MAC (multiply-accumulate) are 3 inputs actually needed, but say you specify a MAC on both the IPU and FPU - that's 60 bits for register specifications alone. I therefore doubt that the instruction length is 64 bits - I think the VLIW on the APU must be 128 bits wide, which is reasonable since that's the word length and since there is bandwidth to read 128 bits out of memory per cycle as well as do a load/store to/from memory at the same time. But this is probably going to mean code is not overly compact - only 8,192 instructions will fit into the whole of APU RAM, with no room for data in that case.

On the other hand, 128 bits is a lot of bits for an instruction given that only 60 are used so far. Assuming 256 distinct instructions per side (which is very very generous) that's 8 bits per side making 76. My guess is they may have another 16 bits to mask integer operations, just as 4 bits mask the FPU operations. 16 bits enables you to isolate any given byte(s) in the register. That's 92.

Another cool feature they might employ is conditional execution like on the ARM - 4 bits would control each instruction's execution according to the standard condition codes. I was suprised not to see this on the VU in PS2 (perhaps ARM have a patent?) because it helps to avoid a lot of petty little branches. If the PPC is influencing the design, they may just throw a barrel shifter in after every instruction too (that would be quite ARM-like as well). So even without unaligned memory accesses you can isolate any field in a 128-bit word in a single mask-and-shift instruction. Another 7 bits there too (integer only) ... that's still only 99 bits - 29 bits are still available.

What seems to be common on classic VLIW chips is to have parts of the ALU directly controlled by the instruction code. On a classic CPU instructions are decoded to generate the control lines for the ALU (for instance, to select which part of the ALU should calculate the result). With a VLIW chip you can encode the control lines directly - known as horizontal encoding. This makes the chips simpler and the instructions more powerful - you can do unusual things with instructions that you couldn't do on a regular CPU. Regular instructions are present as special cases. It's more like you're directly controlling the ALU with bitfields than you're issuing "instructions". This can make the processor difficult for humans to write code for - but in some ways easier for machines (e.g. compilers). It is possible that the other 29 bits go towards this encoding.

However, the patent does not go into much detail about any of this, so you should treat the above few paragraphs with some suspicion until more information comes to light.
Winnie the PU

As mentioned above, there is a secondary type of processing unit which is called just "processing unit" or PU. The patent says almost nothing about the internals of this component - media reports suggest that current incarnations will be based on the PowerPC chip, but this is not particularly relevant. The PU never runs user code, only OS code. It is responsible for coordinating activity between a set of APUs - for instance deciding which APUs will run which cells. It is also resposible for memory management - deciding which areas of RAM can be used by which APUs. The PU must run trusted code because, as I explain later, it is the PU that sets up the "sandboxes" which protect the whole system from viruses and similar malicious code downloaded off the internet.
PEs

The patent then puts several APUs and a PU together to make a "processing element" or PE. A typical PE will contain:

* A master PU which coordinates the activities in the PE
* A direct memory access controller or DMAC which deals with memory accesses
* A number of APUs, typically 8

The PE is the smallest thing you would actually make into a chip (or you can put multiple PEs onto a chip - see later). It contains a 1024-bit bus for direct attachment to DRAM. It also contains an internal bus, the PE-bus. I am inferring that this bus is 1024 bits wide since it attaches directly to the memory interface of the APUs, which are 1024 bits wide. However, the patent says almost nothing in detail about the PE-bus.

The DMAC appears to provide a simultaneous DMA channel for each APU - that is, 8 simultaneous 1024-bit channels. The DRAM itself is split into 8 sectors and for simultaneity each APU must be accessing a different sector. Nominally the DRAM is 64MB and each sector is 8MB large. Sectors themselves consist of 1MB banks configured as just 8192 1024-bit words.

A PE with 8 APUs is theoretically capable of 256GFLOPS or 1/4 TFLOPS. Surely that's enough power for a next gen console? Not according to Sony ...
The Broadband Engine

Now we put together four PEs in one chip and get what the patent calls a "Broadband Engine" or BE. Instead of each PE having its own DRAM the four PEs share it. The PE-busses of each PE are joined together in the BE-bus, and included on the same chip are optional I/O blocks. The interface to the DRAM is still indicated as being external, but still I assume the DRAM must be on the same die to accomodate the 8192-wire interface.

The BE has 1/4 the memory bandwidth of a PE since four PEs share the same DRAM. So they must share. This is done using a crosspoint switch whereby each of the 8 channels on each PE can be attached to any of the 8 sectors on the DRAM.

Additionally, each BE has 8 external DMA channels which can be attached to the DRAM through the same crosspoint mechanism. This allows BEs to be attached together and to directly access each others DRAM (presumably with some delay). The patent discusses connecting BEs up in various topologies.

One thing the patent talks about is grafting an optical waveguide directly onto the BE chip so that BEs can be interconnected optically - literally, the chip packaging would include optical ports where optical fibres could be attached directly. Think about that! If the BE plus DRAM was a self-contained unit, there would be no need at all for high-frequency electrical interfaces in a system built of BEs, and therefore board design should become much much easier than it is today. Note that the patent makes it clear that the optical interface is an option - it may never actually appear - but it would be very useful in building clusters of these things, for instance in supercomputers.

A BE with 4 PEs is theoretically capable of 1 TFLOPS - about 400 times faster than a PS2.
Visualizers

Visualizers (VSs) are mentioned a few times through the document. A visualizer is like a PE where 4 of the APUs are removed and in their place is put some video memory (VRAM), a video controller (CRTC) and a "pixel engine". Almost no details are given but it is a fair assumption that one or more of these will form the graphical "backend" for the PS3. I would presume the pixel engine performs simple operations such as those performed by the backend of a regular graphics pipeline - check and update Z, check and update stencil, check and update alpha, write pixel. The existence of the VS is further evidence to suggest that PS3 is designed for software rendering only.

Diagrams in the patent suggest that visualizers can be used in groups - presumably each VS does a quarter of the output image (similar to the GS Cube).

In my section on graphics later, I describe the software rendering techniques I believe PS3 will use. These techniques use at least 16x oversampling of the image (i.e. a 2560 x 1920 image instead of a 640x480 image), and the obvious hardware implementation might be capable of drawing up to 16 pixels simultaneously - which is equivalent to 1 pixel of a 640x480 image per cycle. Since the NTSC output is 640x480 I call these "pixels" while the 2560 x 1920 image is composed of "superpixels", with 16 superpixels per pixel.
Will the Real PS3 Please Stand Up?

So what is PS3 to be, then? The patent mentions several different possible system architectures, from PDAs (a single VS) through what it terms "graphical workstations" which are one or two PEs and one or two VSs, to massive systems made up of 5 BEs connected optically to each other. Which one is the PS3?

The most revealing diagram to me is Figure 6 in the patent, which is described as two chips - one being 4 PEs (i.e. a BE) and one being 4 VSs with an I/O processor which is rather coincidentally named IOP - the same name as the I/O processor in PS2 (this component will still be required to talk to the disk drive, joypads, USB ports, etc.) The bus between the two main chips looks like it's meant to be electrical. Oddly, each major chip has the 64MB of DRAM attached (on chip?) and this only gives 128MB of total system RAM. That seems very very low. I would expect a more practical system to have maybe 64MB per PE or VS giving a total of 512MB of RAM - much more reasonable. So perhaps the 128MB is merely a type of "secondary cache" - fast on-chip RAM. Then lots of slower RAM could be attached to the system using a regular memory controller. This slow RAM would be much cheaper than the "secondary cache" RAM and would probably not have the 8,192-wire interface. In fact, looking at the PS2's GS design, there we have 4MB of VRAM which has a 1024-bit bus to the texture cache - so perhaps the 64MB per PE is an extension of this VRAM design? On the other hand, VRAM tends to be fast and low-latency, whereas the patent specifically calls the 64MB per PE "slow DRAM".

So how powerful is this machine? Well the 4 PEs give us 1 TFLOPS. The 4 VSs give another 1/2 TFLOPS. Add integer instructions in, and call what the pixel engine does "integer operations" too, and you pretty soon see a machine that really is capable of trillions of operations per second - a superbly ludicrous amount.

Assuming the pixel engine can handle a pixel (16 superpixels) per cycle, at 4GHz with 4 VSs that's a fillrate of 16GPPS - enough to draw a 640 x 480 x 60Hz screen with 800x overdraw. Lovely. (However, note that when drawing triangles smaller than a pixel, a certain amount of "overdraw" is required just to fill the screen - so the available depth complexity is "only" of the order of 100 or so).
Memory : Sandboxes

The DRAM used in this system is not actually 1024-bits wide but 1024 + N bits where N is extra control information. This extra information is used in 2 ways - to provide hardware "sandboxing" whereby regions of memory can be set up to allow access from only a certain subset of APUs, and to provide hardware producer-consumer synchronization, which I discuss later.

Sandboxes are implemented using the following logical test:
(REQID & REQIDMASK) == (MEMID & MEMIDMASK)

Here, REQID and REQIDMASK are an ID and mask associated with the APU making the request; MEMID and MEMIDMASK are an ID and mask associated with the memory location being read or written. If the results are equal the access goes ahead, otherwise it is blocked.

This system allows for APUs to have private memory, memory shared with a specific set of other APUs, and a quite open-ended set of other permutations. It's not clear how this facility interacts with the facility for BEs to directly read the memory of other BEs - one would imagine 32 APUs per BE would mean the IDs and masks were 32 bits wide with one bit per APU - but if a potentially unlimited set of APUs in other BEs can access the DRAM then how are the IDs set up, I wonder?
Memory : Producer / Consumer Synchronization

The DRAM also performs another special function, that is to allow automatic synchronization between an APU that is producing information and an APU that is consuming that information. The synchronization works per 1024-bit word. Essentially, the system is set up so that the producer issues a DMA "sync write" to memory and the consumer issues a DMA "sync read" from memory. If the sync write occurs first, all is well. If the sync read occurs first, the consumer is stalled until the write occurs.

What does that actually mean? Well, there is a bit in each memory location internal to the APU. (We're talking here about 1024-bit locations not 128-bit locations.) This bit is set when a "sync read" is pending to that memory location. The patent description fluffs the explanation of this a little, but I am inferring that the APU issues a sync read and then carries on until code in the APU attempts to access the data that has been read. If the data has not yet arrived from RAM, the APU stops working until the data is available. (The patent seems to imply that the APU stalls immediately but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the extra bit internal to the RAM would not then be necessary.)

This mechanism is very important - it means that you can prefetch data into memory and as long as you can keep working on other stuff the data will arrive when it is ready and the APU need not stall. So the synchronization can be free in cycles (seamless) and free in terms of PU overhead. The overhead in DRAM for each memory location is about 18 bits - 1 free/empty bit, an APU ID (5 bits) and 1 destination address (13 bits). But note what I said above about there being more than 32 APUs accessing the same amount of DRAM - perhaps more than 5 bits is necessary for the APU ID?

Parity DRAM will already provide an extra 128 bits for every 1024 bit word - this is more than enough to provide the 40 bits required by the sandboxing and the synching, with 88 bits left for ECC (ECC is not mentioned in the patent, but it is reasonable to assume it could be a feature - ECC places an error correcting code into the spare bits of DRAM so that in the unlikely event that a cosmic ray changes a bit pattern in your RAM the system can detect and correct the error. Honestly! I'm not making this up!)

The patent makes a fuss about how this synching will make it trivial to read data from an I/O device. But it seems to me that the synching's main function is to make it trivial to stream data around the APUs with no intervention from the PU. You can set up arbitrary producer-consumer graphs and have them work as if by magic. It's a great feature for things like video processing where several APUs might be doing MPEG compression of images that are read from a digitizer and processed by other APUs (e.g. the addition of menus or even special effects). Each stage must wait for data from the previous stage, and this synchronization allows this to be done with minimum hassle. As I discuss in the programming section, streams of data are going to be a key concept in PS3 programming.
Memory : Random Access, Caches, etc.

Now I've said before that the PU doesn't run user code. Except, maybe it does. A lot of a game can be shoehorned into the APU model - certainly the whole graphics engine, probably much AI code, sound code. But it's a case of writing a piece of code that handles a 128K working set (minus code size). What about cases where you really, really, really need random access to memory? What about just porting some monolithic C onto the platform? How do we do that? Surely we need a traditional processor for "regular" tasks?

Well it's still not clear that you do. Random access to memory is going to screw you up. It would probably be faster to make a list of memory locations you need to access first (in local RAM), sort that, and do the memory accesses sequentially! A cache won't help in this case.

What about porting monolithic C? I think the answer to this runs deep. I think the answer is: you can't. I think that writing code for this beast is fundamentally different. You have to break your code into processes that can work with only 128K of data at one time. The PS3 will require a new approach to programming. I have my theories about what this new approach is, which I describe later, but ultimately the new approach should actually be more uniform than our current approach. It will force modularity upon us, which might not be a totally bad thing.

What the system may offer for trusted programs (e.g. off an encoded DVD-ROM rather than off the internet) is the ability to modify the PU operating system to e.g. change the algorithm it uses to distribute cells among APUs. Or the ability to add drivers directly to the I/O processor (IOP) on the PS3. It seems likely Sony will offer some level of control to games programmers - control that is simply not required by simple purveyors of streaming media. On the other hand, this would destroy their ability to swap the PU over to a different processor architecture.

Something which is not addressed by the patent is the question, what granularity do APUs see in their local memory? Can they do byte stores? 32-bit loads? My guess is that they can only transfer 1024-bit quantities from main DRAM to local RAM, and can only transfer 128-bit quantities from local RAM to registers, but that in a single instruction they can isolate any bitfield from a pair of 128-bit registers. But it is only a guess.
Forward and Sideways Compatibility

By forward compatibility I mean the programs can run on future revs of the hardware without error. By sideways compatibility I mean the programs can run on hardware that implements the same instruction set but that is made by different manufacturers to different designs. In both cases, we're talking about running programs on chips that have different timing characteristics to the chips it was written on.

The patent discusses a timer that is provided on each PU. You tell it how long you think an APU program ought to take, and if it takes less time (say on a faster APU) then it waits until the specified time has passed - so the program will never be faster than it should be.

I don't get this part, really. At first I thought perhaps the timer was for synching processes, but it only guarantees "no earlier than" completion, so synching would be impossible since some processes may not have "arrived" yet. Even if this is the intention, it would only work if the time budget referred only to APU processing and not to memory accesses - since the DRAM is shared with other PEs each APU only has 1/4 of a DMAC channel available to it ... so stalls may occur based on what the other APUs in the system are doing. You may easily blow your timeframe this way, through no fault of your own, and suddenly you're not synched up any more.

So what is this for, then? Perhaps it's to define timebases for your game program overall - you use the timer to specify that the game runs at 60Hz no faster even on a fast CPU. That seems unlikely, though, because standard game programming repertoire includes ways to make games run at real-time speed and higher frame rate (if the display can support that) when the processing ability of the machine improves. So maybe the timer is used to define the 60Hz NTSC output frequency - and maybe the subfrequencies off that. Remember this is an 8GHz part. It might use an APU to generate the entire NTSC picture. But it doesn't seem to though since there is a CRTC specified in each VS.

Ideas anyone?
Graphics

Software rendering appears to be the order of the day, although it may be premature to make this observation since they could always add some other GPU if the performance of the software rendering failed to impress. It might seem like a waste to do scan conversion in software when Sony already have hardware that can scan convert 75 million triangles per second in PS2.

But PS3 isn't going to do 75 million triangles per second. Oh no. It's going to do a lot more than that. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that PS3 will, at peak, be capable of 1 billion triangles per second. But before I justify that figure, let us just assume that it will do a lot of triangles. So many triangles that the average size of one is less than a pixel. So what's to scan convert? It's a dot, right? Well, no. You could draw a dot and you'd get an image but the image would look pretty odd - more like a very high-resolution mosaic than a properly anti-aliased CG image. The system will need to do subpixel rendering and average out to get a nice image. 4x4 supersampling of a 640x480 image gives 2560x2048 superpixels - 1280x1024 on each of the 4 VS units. Now, if we ever want to draw a triangle larger than a pixel in width we subdivide it. This is all done in code on the APU. Once the triangle is less than 4x4 superpixels in size there are algorithms you can use to very rapidly determine which subpixels it covers. You keep bitmasks for every possible (4x4x4x4 = 256) edge and you mask them together to give the triangle coverage. Since the triangle is less than a pixel in size there is no point texturing it - you just fill it with a single colour. So we're rendering flatshaded polys. We can do a lot of these in software. We end up with a nicely antialiased image which has the appearance of texture mapping only because we referred to a texture map when we decided each triangle's colour. We write APU programs to determine this colour - these programs are called shaders. Anyone familiar with RenderMan should be starting to understand what's going on. In a sense the rendering capabilities of PS3 are very much akin to a real-time Reyes RenderMan engine.

So how do on Earth do we get 1 billion triangles per second? Well, the hardware to calculate the triangle fragments is small and fast. Then all you need is the basic pixel operations we have already on GPUs - z-test, stencil-test, alpha-test, alpha-blend, etc. Assuming 4x4 supersampling, each triangle covers up to 16 superpixels (actually never more than 10) and 1 superpixel = 1/16 triangle per VS per cycle gives 1 billion triangles per second. (These 16 operations can even be parallelized if the VRAM is split into 16 banks so we may even get a theoretical 16 billion triangles per second, but 4x 4GHz APUs could never drive this many triangles out so it seems a little pointless).

It is possible to drive this from a simple 16-bit input mask, so software needs to determine coverage and pixel position for each small triangle; however this will take several cycles, while the hardware to "scan convert" such polygons is small and fast (a 256x16 triple-ported ROM plus some basic coordinate shifting logic). It's possible therefore that the pixel engines are actually capable of "scan-converting" these subpixel polygons, easing the software burden.

But a big caveat with all these triangle counts is the complexity of the shader itself. The simplest shader might be able to kick out a polygon every 16 cycles from each APU, pushing the pixel engines to the max, but anything more complex (e.g. with texturing or shading or fogging) will require more cycles. So as with all graphic systems, the practical triangle count will likely be less than 20% of the theoretical maximum.
Modelling

Procedural graphics has got to be the way to go with these things. No matter how fast the DRAM is, it's not going to be comparable to the 32GFLOPS available on each APU. Memory will be very slow, processing will be very fast. Pal Engstad at Naughty Dog pointed out to me that VU programming on the PS2 is akin to old-fashioned tape-based mainframe programming - you can read a small number of records from the tape into local RAM and you can only read them sequentially or efficiency suffers badly. There are algorithms for sorting records held on tapes and these algorithms can be applied equally well to the problem of sorting large arrays in memory using just the 128K available to an APU. But at the end of the day, you're going to have oodles of cycles just being wasted while you wait for memory. Procedural models can be instanced from minimum data in RAM using oodles of cycles. There's a natural match here.
Programming PS3

It is truly unknown how PS3 will be programmed. There are many possible models, because the architecture is so flexible. In particular, hybrid models are most likely - i.e. not all APUs will be programmed using the same model. For instance, fast stream "pipeline" code, for example audio code, rendering code, decompression code, might be written in native APU assembler. These assembler programs will run on dedicated APUs and be controlled by other parts of the program ... so the interactions are much simplified. In effect each piece of code like this is functioning a lot like a piece of hardware, and particularly in a simple "slave" mode. The massively parallel nature of PS3 should not trouble the authors of this code too much.

On the other hand, some code, such as AI code, is heavily object-oriented and relies on heavy intercommunication between objects. This code will have to be written in an object-oriented environment (that is, language plus run-time components). If a project can run all AI code on a single APU, things will be simple. But this defeats the point of having such a system in the first place, and it defeats the scalability of the larger server systems (think of the servers running an online game - also based on PS3 technology). So the overall programming environment will need to handle the parallel nature of the system for the programmer.

Collected here are some ideas about programming PS3.
Objects can be Locked using Memory-based Synch

The producer/consumer synching can be used to provide locking on objects in RAM:

1. When an object is created it is written using Sync Write. This puts the memory containing the object into full state.
2. If an APU wants to access the object, it issues a Sync Read. Assuming the object is initialized the object memory is now in empty state and the APU's local RAM contains a copy of the object.
3. When the APU is finished, it writes the local copy back to main RAM using a Sync Write.
4. If another APU attempts to access the object while the other APU is working, it is stalled until the Sync Write occurs.
5. A second APU attempting to access the object while this APU is stalled will cause an error on the second APU (and hopefully the PU's OS will handle this error and cause it to retry).
6. Deleting the object involves a Sync Read without a following Sync Write.
7. The granularity of this technique is only 1024-bit DRAM words ... 128 byte blocks of RAM. Multiple objects could share a RAM block but they could only be locked as a unit.

Jazzing with Blue Gene

This will make you laugh. In 1999, IBM began the 5-year Blue Gene project (the sequel to the chess-playing Deep Blue). Read about it. The idea was to make a PetaFLOPS computer by taking processors at 1GFLOPS and placing 32 on a chip to make a 32GFLOPS chip. 64 of these chips on a board would give 2 TFLOPS. A tower of 8 boards would give 16 TFLOPS and a room of 64 towers would make a PFLOPS. Enough to do protein folding at interactive rates.

By 2005, PS3 will have APUs as powerful as Blue Gene's chips and chips half as powerful as Blue Gene's boards. But Blue Gene is due at about the same time as PS3. Is it possible that Blue Gene will simply be a really really big PS3? Using Broadband Engine chips on the Blue Gene boards would provide 64 TFLOPS per board, 512 TFLOPS per tower, so a room of 64 towers would provide 32 PFLOPS. You could fit a mere PFLOPS in a closet! The optical interface could be used to link towers (note that at 4GHz light only travels 3 inches per clock cycle - so there is quite a latency even at lightspeed!). 32 PFLOPS is more than 2^64 instructions per second.

But if you're not even using your PS3 all that power could be used for something like Seti@Home or Folding@Home - you run software that connects your PS3 to other PS3s to form what's in effect a gigantic supercomputer. Only 32,000 PS3s need be connected to match Blue Gene. If people are motivated, millions of PS3s may be available at any one time.

One major application of this incredible computer power is to do protein folding experiments - experiments which help to find the causes of and hopefully cures to certain illnesses including Cystic Fibrosis, Alzheimer's Disease and some cancers. But another is to simulate nuclear bombs or hydrogen bombs. In the future these supercomputers are also likely to be useful in genetic engineering design, or in the design of fusion reactors (cheap clean power). It is up to you whether or not you wish to support any of these causes, and it should be up to you whether or not the machine you paid for is used towards them. Remember that software cells can be transmitted to your machine over the network, and it's up to Sony's OS when this is allowed to happen. It would not be impossible for Sony to code the OS so that any spare power is automatically given to any cause Sony choose as long as you're online. It is important that consumers are aware of the issue, and can donate their spare cycles to whoever they choose.
Stream Processing

While researching this article I came across the Imagine stream processor developed by William J. Dally's team at Stanford University. This is a chip which is about 10x faster again (relative to clock speed) than the PS3 chips, and uses a somewhat similar parallel design. Another team at Stanford is doing related research into Streaming Supercomputers which are just large batches of these chips connected directly together. (It's not clear at this stage whether or not Stanford patents for these designs might form "prior use" against the Sony patents).

The Stanford team have come up with tools and methods for dealing with programming on the stream architecture - they write "kernels" (effectively APU code) in a language called KernelC which is compiled and loop-unrolled (a la VU code) to target the VLIW architecture of the Imagine processor. They then chain these kernels together with streams using StreamC, which makes a regular program that runs on the host processor (a PowerPC or ARM chip in this case). Note that the Imagine system has mainly been used to accelerate specific tasks - e.g. rendering - and not to run entire games which include rendering, audio generation, AI and physics all at once.
Readers' Comments

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions about this page by emailing me at ps3@tinyted.net. I will reproduce and answer the most interesting comments and questions here. Let me know if you wish to remain anonymous (I will not print email addresses, only names).

In particular I would dearly love to hear from anyone on the Cell Architecture team! I have two major questions:

1. What is the instruction encoding?
2. Can the PUs run user code or just system code?

Links and References
The Patent

The patent application (USPTO)
The patent application (single ZIP)
Paul Zimmons' PowerPoint presentation
Reyes / Renderman

Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice (2e)
Comparing Reyes and OpenGL on a Stream Architecture
The Reyes Image Rendering Architecture
Stanford Research

The Imagine stream processor homepage
Streaming Supercomputers
Protein Folding

The Science of Folding@Home
Unravelling the Mystery of Protein Folding
Programming Protein Folding Simulations

Compliementi per chi è arrivato alla fine. :shock:
Stefano "Obi-Wan" Massobrio
---------------------------------------------------
 La forza è quella che da al Jedi la possanza, è un campo energetico creato da tutte le cose viventi, ti circonda, ci penetra, mantiene unita tutta la galassia

Offline KameaMea

• Avviato
Il CELL e la PS3: un luuuungo articolo in inglese
« Risposta #1 il: 22 Lug 2003, 18:30 »
si ma in sostanza che dice?  :lol:
img]http://arianna.libero.it/media/images/thumb/img2/8/f/8fff8313079f26d6.jpg[/img]
<>      http://media.ign.com/boards/images/icons/XBoxSmash.gif

Offline Nofx

• Veterano
    • http://www.madmen.too.it
« Risposta #2 il: 22 Lug 2003, 18:56 »
Citazione
si ma in sostanza che dice?

Scaricatelo e poi leggilo, no? Ci perderai si e no un quarto d'ora...io l'ho fatto, se poi non è interessante, Obi-Wan, ti vengo a cercare! (in che galassia latiti ultimamente?)  :D
 won't exist anymore ^__^

Offline Nofx

• Veterano
    • http://www.madmen.too.it
« Risposta #3 il: 22 Lug 2003, 18:59 »
Citazione

Scaricatelo e poi leggilo, no? Ci perderai si e no un quarto d'ora...io l'ho fatto, se poi non è interessante, Obi-Wan, ti vengo a cercare! (in che galassia latiti ultimamente?)  :D
 won't exist anymore ^__^

Offline Obi-Wan

• Assiduo
    • http://www.play2eye.it/index.asp
« Risposta #4 il: 22 Lug 2003, 19:48 »
Citazione da: "Nofx"
Citazione

Ultimamente sono su Coruscant puoi trovarmi al Palazzo degli Jedi. :lol:
Stefano "Obi-Wan" Massobrio
---------------------------------------------------
 La forza è quella che da al Jedi la possanza, è un campo energetico creato da tutte le cose viventi, ti circonda, ci penetra, mantiene unita tutta la galassia

Offline Giobbi

• Reduce
  • Gnam!
« Risposta #5 il: 22 Lug 2003, 20:44 »
Argh!

Troooooooppo luuuuuuungo!

Offline A.A.

• Condottiero
    • http://www.adrianoavecone.com
Re: Il CELL e la PS3: un luuuungo articolo in inglese
« Risposta #6 il: 22 Lug 2003, 22:04 »
Citazione da: "Obi-Wan"
E' probabile che qualcuno l'abbia già visto dato che l'ho postato anche su un altro forum; però per chi bazzica solo tfp ed è interessato alla materia (es. Adriano) lo propongo anche quì.

Grazie Obi. Appena ho un attimo lo leggo e ti dico la mia ;-)...
Online:CapaRezza
Now Playing:
 Winning Eleven 8,Silent Hill 4 PS2
 Top Spin, TOCA RD2, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon ORTA XBOX
 FireEmblem,CastlevaniaCOTM GBA
 Castlevania SOTN, Einhander, FFVII PSOne

Offline Gunny

• Generale
« Risposta #7 il: 22 Lug 2003, 23:22 »
Letto. Quello che ho capito (questione di tecnica, non di inglese...) mi è sembrato interessante...ma la RAM sarà poca ancora una volta. Temo che la curva d'apprendimento sarà nuovamente impervia :roll:

Offline monsa

• Navigato
« Risposta #8 il: 23 Lug 2003, 07:53 »
Citazione da: "Gunny"
Letto. Quello che ho capito (questione di tecnica, non di inglese...) mi è sembrato interessante...ma la RAM sarà poca ancora una volta. Temo che la curva d'apprendimento sarà nuovamente impervia :roll:

anche io, per quel poco che, di tecnica, ho capito sono rimasto un po' stupefatto dalla Ram e dai Gflops...
dovrò rileggerlo però perchè non sono arrivato alla fine

Offline A.A.

• Condottiero
    • http://www.adrianoavecone.com
« Risposta #9 il: 23 Lug 2003, 20:16 »
Mi perdoni Obi-Wan, ma ho aperto un topic apposito contenente i miei commenti su questo documento relativo a PS3. Questo per il semplice motivo che si tratta di un "papiello" lunghissimo.

Fatemi sapere che ne pensate! ;-)
Online:CapaRezza
Now Playing:
 Winning Eleven 8,Silent Hill 4 PS2
 Top Spin, TOCA RD2, Ninja Gaiden, Panzer Dragoon ORTA XBOX
 FireEmblem,CastlevaniaCOTM GBA
 Castlevania SOTN, Einhander, FFVII PSOne